What’s the difference between a “crown” and a “cap”?

These entail repairs to mend a tooth that is seriously broken, by covering most or all of the tooth following removal of fillings, broken tooth formation and all decay.

The repair material is created from porcelain, gold, composites or stainless steel. According to dentists, each of these repairs is called ‘crowns.’ But, patients normally call the ones that are tooth-colored ‘caps, and the stainless steel or gold ones ‘crowns.’